Location: Sierra Vista Public Library conference room, 2600 E. Tacoma St.
Date: Saturday, March 24, 2018
Attendees: 9 (including 2 guests from AZLOCO, wmack and toddc)
Upcoming CLUG Events:
- 11 April, CLUG Meeting, 1700-1800 UA South, Learning Resource Center, 1140 N. Colombo Ave., Sierra Vista
- 26 April, Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
- 28 April, CLUG/AZLOCO Installfest, 1100-1500, SVPL Mona Bishop room, 2600 East Tacoma St., Sierra Vista
- 05 May, West End Fair, 1000-1700, Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
Upcoming AZLOCO events:
- 05 April, Ubuntu Hour, 1900-2100, Xtreme Bean, 1707 E. Southern Ave, Tempe
- 07 April, AZLOCO/PLUG Installfest/Linux Workshop, 1000-1600, University of Advancing Technologies, 2625 W. Baseline Rd, Tempe
- 21 April, Bionic Beaver (Ubuntu 18.04) Release Party/Installfest/Linux Workshop 1400-1800, 5831 W. Kesler St, Chandler. Anyone interested in Linux and/or Free and Open Source Software is invited. Please bring a dish that you can share with others attending the party
- 26 April, Ubuntu Hour, 1900-2000, Xtreme Bean, 1707 E. Southern Ave, Tempe
- On 19 May Rex will give a presentation on the distro that he has used since October 2010. That is before it was even recognized by Canonical as an official flavor of Ubuntu. Other members need to step up and give a presentation on the distro that they are using or one that they would perhaps like to use.
Community Projects Updates:
- West End Fair – We will not be participating other than passing out flyers about the group stating who we are and what we do.
- I believe that we need at least one community project other than our installfests. Please submit your candidates to Rex Bouwense at the next meeting.
Recent Linux/FOSS News Items:
- Bionic Beaver, Ubuntu 18.04 is scheduled to be released by Canonical on the 26th of April (the day of our April Ubuntu Hour). As with any new releases I expect it to be a little buggy. I would refrain from placing it on your machines until the testers have had an opportunity to iron out any wrinkles that may exist, unless of course you want to be a tester.
- The preparations for our Installfest (co-sponsored by AZLOCO and CLUG) scheduled for 28 April 2018 are on track. For Ubuntu, we will be using 16.04.4 install media. There simply isn’t sufficient time to prepare and test the Ubuntu 18.04 versions which will be released on the 26th. Individuals will be provided with information on how to upgrade or they can contact any member for assistance. For Linux Mint we will be using 18.3 install media. For anyone who is still apprehensive about installing on someone else’s computer, we can provide additional training on the installation and post installation procedures.
- Our own Release Party for Bionic Beaver: After the installfest I would like to retire to Native Grill and Wings to celebrate the release. Any and all folks who assisted or attended the installfest are invited to attend. That would be roughly 1600-1800.
- How to solve problems or ask questions. The best way is to bring the computer to a CLUG meeting or a Ubuntu Hour. However, there are other options. Both AZLOCO and CLUG have IRC channels on freenode.net (#Ubuntu-US-AZ and #cochiselinux respectively) where questions can be raised. Both AZLOCO and CLUG have a mailing list that can be used to present problems and find solutions. Most, if not all Linux distros, have forums that are devoted to solving problems that individuals have with their computers. Ubuntu’s forums are at https://ubuntuforums.org/.
- The CLUG web site has a page that has member photos and very short Bios. It is an opt in page but I encourage you to submit a short Bio and photo if you so desire to either Rex or Devi to be included on the page. Of course if you have outstanding warrants or a former spouse or ex-partner that is looking for you we will understand. If you want to make changes to your current Bio, once again contact Rex or Devi with your change(s) and they will make any necessary corrections.
- Helen’s inability to play certain videos was very quickly diagnosed and corrected by wmack. Apparently the codex required is no longer installed by default during a Ubunu installation. The commands to corret the situation are sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-good sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
- Penetration Testing by Chad Wheeler
- We retired to Native Grill and Wings where we enjoyed some good food and additional Linux and FOSS conversation. After eating, several members and guests returned to Rex Bouwense’s apartment to work on the CLUG server which has been running for almost 3 months but still is not connected to the Internet. In a very short time (comparatively) wmack and toddc were able to get it working correctly something that Rex has been unable to accomplish in the 3 months that he had it running.