CLUG Meeting 2018-04-11
Location: UA South, Learning Resource Center
Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2018
Upcoming CLUG Events:
- 21 April, Bionic Beaver (Ubuntu 18.04) Release Party/Installfest/Linux Workshop 1400-1800, 5831 W. Kesler St, Chandler. Anyone interested in Linux and/or Free and Open Source Softwar is invited. Please bring a dish that you can share with the group.
- 26 April, Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
- 28 April, CLUG/AZLOCO Installfest, 1100-1500, SVPL Mona Bishop room, 2600 East Tacoma St., Sierra Vista
- 05 May, West End Fair, 1000-1700, Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
- 09 May, CLUG Meeting, 1700-1800 UA South, Learning Resource Center, 1140 N. Colombo Ave., Sierra Vista
- On 19 May Rex will give a presentation on the distro that he has used since October 2010, Lubuntu. That is before it was even recognized by Canonical as an official flavor of Ubuntu. I need other members to step up and give a presentation on the distro that they are using or one that they would perhaps like to use.
Community projects updates:
- West End Fair – We will not be participating other than passing out flyers about the group stating who we are and what we do.
- I believe that we need at least one community project other than our installfests. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please submit them at the next meeting or to Rex Bouwense personally.
- Bionic Beaver, Ubuntu 18.04 is scheduled to be released by Canonical on the 26th of April (the day of our April Ubuntu Hour). As with any new releases I expect it to be a little buggy. I would refrain from placing it on your machines until the testers have had an opportunity to iron out any wrinkles that may exist, unless of course you want to be a tester.
- The preparations for our Installfest (co-sponsored by AZLOCO and CLUG) scheduled for 28 April 2018 are on track. For anyone who is still apprehensive about installing on someone else’s computer, we can provide additional training on the installation and post installation procedures.
- Our own Release Party for Bionic Beaver: After the installfest I would like to retire to Native Grill and Wings to celebrate the release. Any and all folks who assisted or attended the installfest are invited to attend. That would be roughly 1600-1800.
- How to solve problems or ask questions. The best way is to bring the computer to a CLUG meeting or a Ubuntu Hour. However, there are other options. The CLUG has an IRC channel on freenode.net ( #cochiselinux) where questions can be raised. The CLUG also has a mailing list that can be used to present problems and find solutions. Try to keep the question and responses in one thread so it can be followed with relative ease. Most, if not all Linux distros, have forums that are devoted to solving problems that individuals have with their computers. Ubuntu’s forums are at https://ubuntuforums.org/.
- The CLUG web site has a page that has member photos and very short Bios. It is an opt in page but I encourage you to submit a short Bio and photo if you so desire to either Rex or Devi to be included on the page. Of course if you have outstanding warrants or a former spouse or ex-partner that is looking for you we will understand. If you want to make changes to your current Bio, once again contact Rex or Devi with your change(s) and they will make any necessary corrections.
Problems with your system and/or applications or just questions/discussion:
- Lynn is having problems with her Ubuntu Install. It was recommended that she bring the computer to the Installfest and we will walk her through the problem areas, namely email in Thunderbird and photos.
- Helen wanted some additional training on installation procedures which will be taken care of at the Installfest.
- We adjourned to Native Grill for some food and additional discussion as well as a mindless game.