Location: UA South, Learning Resource Center
Date: Wednesday, January 10, 2018
There were 9 attendees
Upcoming CLUG Events:
- 20 January, CLUG/AZLOCO Installfest 1000-1600, UA South, Learning Resource Center, 1140 N. Colombo Ave., Sierra Vista
- 25 January, Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
- 27 January, CLUG Meeting 1300-1530, Sierra Vista public library conference room, 2600 East Tacoma St., Sierra Vista is CANCELED.
- 14 February, CLUG Meeting, 1700-1800 UA South, Learning Resource Center, 1140 N. Colombo Ave., Sierra Vista
Community projects update: 20 January Installfest Update – Rex Bouwense
- All required activities have been completed with the exception of the hardware linkup with the UA South wifi. Without this we will have no wired Internet connection. Plan B is to go with entirely wireless connectivity which is functional.
- Installers are still needed so if you want to volunteer 2, 4, or 6 hours of your time on Saturday 20 January please contact Rex Bouwense. Even if you do not feel comfortable installing there are still other things that you can do at the Installfest to contribute to its success.
Recent Linux/FOSS News Items:
- Most major Linux OSs have released their patch for Meltdown. The patches for Spectre are still to be forthcoming. The Raspberry Pi has not been affected by either. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/why-raspberry-pi-isnt-vulnerable-to-spectre-or-meltdown/
- There was a request for the websites that presented tips and tweaks for Ubuntu and Linux Mint be posted so here they are once again. https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/tips and https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/7 They are a good read even if you do not do all of them. At least you will be made aware of what you can do to make your system run smoother or better.
- Information on the Cochise Linux User Group was provided the new attendee along with an explanation of what we do and what we are trying to accomplish in the county.
- The new CLUG T-shirts were worn to the meeting by the members and we finally look like an organized group.