Location: 143 Street Tacos, 80 S. Carmichael Ave., Sierra Vista
Date: Saturday, 27 March, 2021
Attendees: 12 (one of which was new to the world as well as Linux)
Useful CLUG links:
- CLUG website: https://cochiselinususergroup.org
- CLUG FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1059259857477393/
- CLUG Mailing List Archives: https://www.freelists.org/archive/cochiselinux
Upcoming CLUG Events:
- 08 April, Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s, 3900 E. Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
- 24 April, CLUG Meeting, 1300-1500, 143 Street Tacos, 80 S. Carmichael Ave., Sierra Vista
- Robo Linux by Tim Kirk, 24 April
- A new version of Ventoy (Ventoy-1.0-38) has been released.
- Introduction To Coding by Mike Lopez
- There was a very short discussion on the need for new group leadership. Everyone seemed to be satisfied with the current regime so no change is planned.
- Larry brought up a concern that he has that may possibly be driving people away from Linux. One of the clients that we assisted in Bisbee at our installfest there became lost or confused and did not know how to proceed. He showed her the correct procedures. The question is “Are we spending enough time with each client to introduce them to the new operating system”. He is concerned that we are not and that they will just give up even though they are given points of contact should they need assistance or have a question. This bad experience could be multiplied when they tell their friends and Linux gets an unjustified bad review from them which may spread through-out the county causing any good that we do to be blotted out. Assigning a mentor to each client after the install was suggested but rejected because a lack of volunteers for the job.
ACTION: Rex (Do a re-write of post installation activities to ensure that the clients leave with a better understanding of the installed operating system and how to use it. Also consider always selecting try the operating system before installing. This will allow the client to play with the system before installing.)
- Larry also raised the possibility of another meeting or installfest in Bisbee to introduce the residents to Linux. A presentation on why you should switch to Linux may be appropriate. Looking at late Summer or early Fall for this to happen. Having several computers with different operating systems on them on hand for the clients to see and handle may also be appropriate. Also handing out DVD’s that are prepared as install media may also be a good idea.
ACTION: Larry (Coordinate for a location in Bisbee and publication of date and time when created). Rex (Provide presentation and preloaded DVDs).