Location: 143 Street Tacos, 80 S. Carmichael Ave., Sierra Vista
Date: Saturday, 23 April 2022
Attendees: 9. There were two new attendees.
Upcoming CLUG Events:
- 12 May, Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s, 3900 E. Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
- 21 May, Installfest/Linux Workshop, 1000-1400, Warrior Healing Center, 1838 Paseo San Luis, Sierra Vista
- 28 May, CLUG Meeting, 1300-1500, 143 Street Tacos, 80 S. Carmichael Ave., Sierra Vista
Useful CLUG links:
- CLUG website: https://cochiselinuxusergroup.org
- CLUG FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1059259857477393/
- CLUG Mailing List Archives: https://www.freelists.org/archive/cochiselinux
- CLUG Presentation Slides: https://github.com/CochiseLinuxUsersGroup/Presentations
- CLUG Trusted Personal Package Archives (PPA) List: https://cochiselinuxusergroup.org/Resources/PPA/
- The Group has donated 2 desktop computers to two vets at the Warrior Healing Center.
- There is a new repair shop in town, Asurion. It is located next to Food City. I have met the manager, Phillip Vance, who dabbles in Linux and he has given me discount tickets and they are available to the members.
- Update on the preparations for the Installfest. (Brochures are printed and distributed, new ISOs for Ubuntu have been downloaded, installed to flash drives, and tested, the conference room at the Warrior Healing Center has been reserved, installer training was conducted at this meeting.)
Recent Linux/FOSS News Items:
- Ubuntu 22.04 was released on 21 April.
- Fort Huachuca computer activities (Bruce Adamson)
- Post Ubuntu Installation Training (Rex Bouwense)
- Gene had raised a question at the Ubuntu Hour and last month’s meeting on how to change the size of the file manager icons. While the solution was given it was formalized here. While holding the CTRL key down rotate the scroll wheel for the desired size.
- A new attendee, Barry, who was also new to Ubuntu required some assistance copying pictures from his computer to a CD and a SD card. He was shown how to install a CD burner to his computer, how to copy files, and how to burn a CD. All three actions were successfully accomplished. He was also interested in learning how to use the terminal. There are literally dozens of web site and You Tube videos already published on this subject.
- Teruel presented an idea about having monthly Zoom meetings. Everyone was asked to bring their laptops the next meeting so we could set them up. A date and time for these meetings was not set. That will be discussed at the May meeting.
- Bruce asked why we are not installing Ubuntu restricted add-ons in addition to the Ubuntu restricted extras. No clear answer was given.
- John, who is also new to Ubuntu and Linux, gave a brief description of what the Bisbee Science lab is doing and what they are trying to do. He was told to ask if he needed assistance from the CLUG in any of their projects and we would help where we could.