Location: UA South, Learning Resource Center
Date: Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Upcoming CLUG Events:
- 26 July, Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
- 28 July, CLUG Meeting, 1300-1530, SV Public Library conference room, 2600 E. Tacoma St., Sierra Vista
- 04 August, Installfest, 1100-1500, SV Public Library, Mona Bishop Room, 2600 E. Tacoma St., Sierra Vista
- 08 August, CLUG Meeting, 1700-1800 UA South, Learning Resource Center, 1140 N. Colombo Ave., Sierra Vista
August Installfest update:
- Remember we have a pre and post checklist for installation. Have the client sign the pre-installation one because that is also a hold harmless agreement.
- Greg and I distributed the flyers in and around Sierra Vista. Only one location was hesitant and that was the Brews Brothers Coffee Shop.
- The Canonical Conference Pack is on hand so we have sufficient lanyards, stickers, and pins to hand out. We also have sufficient CLUG and AZLOCO information flyers as well as information on Linux equivalent applications.
- The only things remaining to do is convert the 25 flash drives on hand from Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 18.04 and test the result. They were distributed to the members who will create bootable USB flash drives for Ubuntu 18.04.
- Also we need to submit the installfest information to Cherry Creek media and the Cochise Trader.
Recent Linux/Foss News Items:
- Ubuntu 17.10 reaches EOL on 19 July
- Ubuntu 18.04.1 scheduled to be released on 26 July.
- 2019 Installfests: I am happy with the support that we have received from the SVPL and wish to continue our relationship with them. Comments. The only thing remaining is to decide on which Saturdays to hold them and then submit the application in November. (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. The 2nd conflicts with many members other activities and the 4th is our regular meeting which we could very easily turn into an installfest. 1st and 3rd conflict with the AZLOCO/PLUG installfests but that is not a big deal). The issue was tabled for a decision at a later date.
- 2019 Meetings: It was decided to continue with the 2nd Wednesday of the month meetings at the UA South for 2019 with the time remaining from 1700-1800. It was also decided to continue with the 4th Saturday of the month meetings at the Sierra Vista Public Library for 2019 with the time remaining from 1300-1545. This is course contingent upon the availability of the room when the drawing is made in November of this year.
- Information was provided on the University auctions of surplus equipment to include computer related items. The next auction will take place at 0800, 17 July 2018, at the Paul and Alice Baker Distribution Center 3740 E. 34th Street, Tucson AZ. That is a residential area. Items are available for on inspection on Monday the 16th 0800-1530. The auction is generally for bulk items so be prepared to bid groups of computers/items. Telephone number for information is 520-621-1754. The web site is https://pacs.arizona.edu/surplus
- David Garcia was thanked for the post on the mailing list which contained almost 8 hours of “How to do things in Ubuntu” videos. It is almost a one stop shop for various Ubuntu tweaks and problems.
- We retired to Peter Piper Pizza where we consumed pizza and soda and continued talking about Linux and FOSS topics as well as some unrelated subjects such as what type of soda Todd was have on hand for visitors to his new home.