Location: UA South, Learning Resource Center
Date: Wednesday, December 13, 2017
There were 9 attendees
Upcoming CLUG Events:
- 23 December, CLUG Meeting 1300-1530, Sierra Vista public library conference room, 2600 East Tacoma St., Sierra Vista
- 10 January, CLUG Meeting, 1700-1800 UA South, Learning Resource Center, 1140 Colombo Ave., Sierra Vista
- 20 January, CLUG/AZLOCO Installfest 1000-1600, UA South, Learning Resource Center, 1140 N. Colombo Ave., Sierra Vista
Upcoming AZLOCO events:
- 28 December, Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd., Sierra Vista
- 06 January, AZLOCO/PLUG Installfest/Linux Workshop, 1000-1600, UAT, 2625 W. Baseline Rd., Tempe
- 20 January, AZLOCO/PLUG Installfest/Linux Workshop, 1000-1600, UAT, 2625 W. Baseline Rd., Tempe
- Rex Bouwense attended the UA South Continuing Education presentation on Pen Testing on 6 December. It was an excellent lecture covering both physical and digital security. Mr Wheeler gave several examples of work that he and his team had completed omitting of course and compromising details. Two important components are passwords (or more accurately pass phrases) and procedures. Failure to follow proper procedures is the cause of many data breeches. P@$$w0rd or p@55w0rd are not very good passwords. “There is no patch for human stupidity”.
- Introduction to the Command Line (part 3) – Rex Bouwense (23 December) Tentative
Community projects updates:
- 20 January Installfest Update – The preparation for the installfest are on track. All of the hardware has been checked and found to be working correctly. The release of Linux Mint 18.3 makes all of the Mint install media on hand OBE so it must be updated. That will involve 8 ISO’s.
- Please contact Rex Bouwense to sign up for a two hour shift at the installfest.
- The Installfest Flyers will be distributed next week in and around Sierra Vista and Fort Huachuca.
- An individual approached the group with a unique problem. He has data on a 5 ¼ inch floppy disk but no drive to read it. Does anyone own or have access to a functioning 5 ¼ inch floppy drive? If you do please contact Rex Bouwense so we can put you in contact with the individual in dire need.
- David Garcia brought the group up to date with his work on transforming the Chromebook first to a dual boot platform with Chrome OS and then to a complete Linux desktop with Gallium OS.
- There has been no further information from the Sunsites couple who were interested in having us conduct an installfest there.
- The CLUG T-shirts have been ordered and the expected delivery date is 21 December. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
- Cody Roehsler brought up a problem that he is having with his computer. The BIOS does not appear to recognize any hard drive that he inserts. It was recommended that he bring it to a meeting for members to look at.
- Right now we are looking at the April Installfest location to be the Sierra Vista public library. Rex Bouwense is working on that project.
- We adjourned the meeting and computer parts and components were distributed in the UA South parking lot.
- We reconvened at Native Grill and Wings where we all had a little nourishment and continued our discussions (admitting of course that not all topics were even remotely related to Linux or FOSS.)