CLUG meeting 2016-07-23
Location: Sierra Vista public library conference room
Date: Saturday, July 23, 2016
There were nine attendees
- 28 July Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd, Sierra Vista.
- 06 August AZLOCO/PLUG install-fest, 1000-1600, UAT, 2625 W. Baseline Rd, Tempe
- 10 August CLUG meeting 1700-1800, UA South, room C165A, Sierra Vista
- 20 August AZLOCO/PLUG install-fest, 1000-1600, UAT, 2625 W. Baseline Rd., Tempe
- Please give some thought to presentations that you would like to see given and those that you could do for the group. They can be on anything from a Linux operating system to your favorite FOSS. Rex Bouwense suggested a Raspberry Pi presentation and Gaming in the Linux World.
- Down the road – AZLOCO & PLUG co-sponsor an install-fest on the first & third Saturdays of each month. We of course are welcome to attend. Five of our members have attended at least one. We are exploring the possibility of holding an Installation festival/Linux Workshop here in Sierra Vista so to see how they run theirs would be both informative and beneficial. We do need a Project Manager to head this up.
- Ubuntu 15.10, Wily Werewolf will reach EOL on 29 July 2016. That means that you will receive no more patches or security updates for that release. The only Ubuntu releases that are still current are 12.04 (April 2017), 14.04 (April 2019), and 16.04 (April 2021). The Ubuntu “flavors” are only supported for three years so there are only two of them that are current, 14.04 (which dies next April) and 16.04 (the newest LTS release.)
- Mint 18 was released in late June 2016. It also is a LTS release.
- A slide show/presentation for high/middle school computer clubs. A Group POC is still needed to coordinate with the clubs. Rex Bouwense already has the start of a presentation prepared.
- Sierra Vista night Christmas Parade. Louie Garcia is the Group POC. No update at this time.
- Joseph Meditz announced that he has converted or will be converting 14 machines at Cochise College to a Linux OS for the students use. Excellent work Joe.
- We finally found a home for the Lubuntu installed computer that was given to us by Todd Cole. It’s new home is the Braswell residence.
- Laco Kuchar briefly discussed a VM problem that he was having on a newly built computer (with a promise to bring it to a future meeting for members to assist is resolving the problem.)
- Rex Bouwense discussed a technique for creating Outlines in LibreOffice.