Ubuntu Hour 2016-02-25
Location: Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd
Date: Thursday, Febuary 25th 2016
- 27 February, CLUG meeting, 1400-1545 at the SV Public Library conference room.
- 09 March, CLUG meeting, 1700-1800 at the University of Arizona, Sierra Vista campus, room B159.
- 24 March, Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900 at Schlotzsky’s Cafe. Hosted by Rex Bouwense.
Linux news: Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (both 32 and 64 bit) hacked on 20 Feb 16. If you downloaded the ISO on that date and didn’t use a torrent, it is bogus. Check the MD5Sum and you will see that the hashes do not match. The mirror was taken down. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994. See also https://lwn.net/Articles/676664 and <www.pcworld.com/article/3035682/security/hackers-planted-a-backdoor-inside-compromised-version-of-linux-mint.html>. The Mint forum is back up and they recommend that you change your password.
- There were two lectures yesterday (24 February) co-sponsored by UA South and IEEE, Congress and CyberSecurity (1130-1230) and Elections and Technology (1700-1800). The CyberSecurity lecture was spot on considering the Apple vs. FBI conflict that is going on now. The Elections and Technology discussed Gerrymandering of districts to make 400-405 of the representative districts to be considered safe for one party or another so that there is no loyalty to the electorate but rather to the party.
- There was also some discussion on the installation of Ubuntu to a flash drive.
- The release party for Ubuntu 16.04 is scheduled for 14 May starting at 1500 in Chandler. As more details become available they will be released.