Location: Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd.
Date: Thursday, February 22, 2018
Attendees: 6 (one new person)
Upcoming CLUG Events:
- 24 February, CLUG Meeting, 1300-1545, Sierra Vista public library conference room, 2600 East Tacoma Street, Sierra Vista
- 14 March, CLUG Meeting, 1700-1800, UA South, Learning Resource Center, 1140 N. Colombo Avenue, Sierra Vista
- 28 April, CLUG/AZLOCO Installfest, 1100-1500, SVPL Mona Bishop room, 2600 East Tacoma Street, Sierra Vista to be followed by in informal Release Party for Bionic Beaver, Ubuntu 18.04 at Native Grill and Wings.
Upcoming AZLOCO events:
- 03 March, AZLOCO/PLUG Installfest, 1000-1600, UAT, 2625 Baseline Road, Tempe
- 17 March, AZLOCO/PLUG Installfest, 1000-1600, UAT, 2625 Baseline Road, Tempe
- 22 March, Sierra Vista Ubuntu Hour, Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 1800-1900, 3900 Fry Blvd, Sierra Vista.
- 21 April, Bionic Beaver Release Party/AZLOCO/PLUG Installfest, 1400-1800, 5831 West Kesler Street, Chandler. All are invited.
- 01 March Canonical will be releasing the fourth of five point releases of 16.04 (16.04.4). Our install media must be upgraded for that release prior to the Installfest. Rex Bouwense.
- 05 May, West End Fair 1000-1700. Do we want to participate? At the 2017 event we obtained two new members, Cody and Lynn. At the 2016 event we obtained recognition but only received one new member. Cost is $25 or $45 depending upon how Rosie Mackey classifies us. Everything else is on hand to include the ramada, table, chairs, and banners. No decision was made as to our participation.
- How to create a bootable USB flash drive in Windows with persistence to carry with you or just to dabble in Ubuntu without installing it on your Windows computer. https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-bootable-ubuntu-usb-windows/
- The CLUG has a page that has member photos and very short Bios. It is an opt in page but I encourage you to submit a short Bio and photo if you so desire to either Rex or Devi to be included on the page. Of course if you have outstanding warrants or a former spouse or ex-partner that is looking for you we will understand. If you want to make changes to your current Bio, once again contact Rex or Devi with your change(s) and they will make any necessary corrections.
- The CLUG has a website, http://cochiselinuxusergroup.org/, a mailing list, firstname.lastname@example.org, and an IRC channel, #cochiselinux on irc.freenode.net. If you are not on the mailing list instructions to register are on the website as are instructions on how to get on the IRC channel. The mailing list is quite active but the IRC channel has been under used since its inception. I encourage you to actively use both. They both can be used for problem solving and communication between members. This is in addition to the AZLOCO website, wiki pages, IRC channel, and mailing list. So there is a wealth of places that you can go for assistance with your Linux problems. Make use of them. You of course can also bring your problem to a Ubuntu Hour or any of the CLUG meetings.
- I am still interested in conducting an Installfest or as a minimum an information presentation in Sunsites but we have not heard from the Lances who first brought up the idea so that project is on hold.
- Discussed what is Linux with the new attendee and demonstrated what a Linux distro looked like and what it could do. Also handed out a list FOSS equivalents for Windows programs.