The Cochise Linux User Group, CLUG, in conjunction with the Ubuntu Arizona Local Community Team, AZLOCO, conducted an Installation Festival on Saturday, 04 May at Livia’s Coffee, 2480 E. Wicox Dr., Sierra Vista AZ. Fourteen people attended the event which resulted in two installs (Both Xubuntu). Preparations for a dual boot with Microsoft Windows 7 were discussed. Distributed Ubuntu stickers, lanyards, and pins as well as information about Free and Open Source Software, AZLOCO and the local Linux group.
Coordination was done with Ashley at Livia’s Coffee for use of their meeting room on 23 February 2019.
Publicizing the event started approximately two months before the event and took the form of flyers that were posted in various locations around town and the Education Center on Fort Huachuca, posting a notice in the Cochise Trading Post, posting a notice on the Sierra Vista Herald/Review’s on line web site (http://www.svherald.com/calendar/#/), and sending copies of the flyer to the CLUG mailing list for distribution to their friends and neighbors and at their places of employment and worship.
Hardware for the event was on hand from previous Installfests that was donated by various members of the CLUG and AZLOCO. It includes a spare monitor, keyboard, power cable, and mouse
Installation media in the form of, DVDs and USB thumb drives, was on hand from previous Installfests and was updated to the new versions (Ubuntu 18.04.2 and Linux Mint 19.1).
A conference Pack was ordered from Canonical and was on hand 24 March 2019.
- Since we used Livia’s front room, there was plenty of space. The Wifi was adequate and coffee was available for those who wanted it. This location can be used again.
- The use of a WiFi dongle on desktop PCs was very successful. Continue to include one in the installfest hardware box for future installfests
- The installfest packet was very successful. Continue to use it.
- Continue to expand the publication of the event to attract more participants. Look into the high schools and middle schools to see if we can expand in that area. This was not done after the last installfest.
- Because of the low attendance at previous Summer installfests, it was decided to cancel the 03 August installfest and to take a hard look at conducting only two a year (perhaps in the Fall and Spring). A decision was not made on that and will be discussed at the next CLUG meeting.