The Cochise Linux User Group, CLUG, conducted a Laptop Repair Session on Saturday, 08 June 2019 at 99 School Drive, Sierra Vista AZ. Seven people attended the event.
- Ted had secured some used laptop computers at a University of Arizona auction and wanted to see if the group members could get them working, install a Linux operating system on them, and then donate them.
- There were plenty of laptop power supplies, extra RAM, and extra hard drives on hand.
- The project ran from 1200-1600 on 08 June 2019 at Ted’s house
- We successfully conducted 2 installations and disassembled 2 other computers for parts.
- Snacks were provided by our host and Laura who thoughtfully baked some banana bread.
- The location while adequate was a bit cramped. If this event is repeated perhaps a larger location could be located and more computers could be worked on at the same time.
- The Internet access was excellent and we we able to use a switch and Cat 5 cables to connect. Continue to use the switch and Cat 5 cables.
- The extra hard drives had to be reformatted before they could be used which took up time.
- The RAM chips had not been checked so we had to use trial and error to get good ones.
- While the initial results do not indicate that a lot was done, four hours should be sufficient for future activities like this.