Location: Sierra Vista public library conference room
Date: Saturday, March 25, 2017
There were 9 attendees.
- 31 March, Free lecture on “The Internet of Things”, 1130-1300 and 1730-1900, Groth Hall, UA South, 1140 N. Colombo Ave. Sierra Vista
- 01 April AZLOCO/PLUG installfest/Linux Workshop, 1000-1600, UAT, 2625 W. Baseline Rd. Tempe
- 12 April CLUG Meeting, 1700-1800 UA South, room 157B, 1140 Colombo Ave. Sierra Vista
- 15 April AZLOCO/PLUG Installfest/Linux Workshop, 1000-1600, UAT, 2625 W. Baseline Rd. Tempe
- 22 April, 1300-1530, Sierra Vista public library conference room, 2600 East Tacoma St. Sierra Vista
- 27 April, Ubuntu Hour, 1800-1900, Schlotzsky’s Cafe, 3900 Fry Blvd. Sierra Vista
- Beginning with this meeting Rex Bouwense will be giving short presentations on “How tos” and Tips for Ubuntu and Linux Mint users.
- Chris Braswell will be giving a presentation on a Programing Language for Quantum Computers. Time: TBA
Community Projects Events:
- West End Fair 6 May 2017. Planning is continuing on track. Most equipment required is on hand. Very soon Louie Garcia will be circulating a sign up sheet for members to choose which shift that they would like to serve on.
- The next installfest will be in the July time frame. Contact Greg Christ for information.
Recent Linux/FOSS News Items:
- Ubuntu 12.04 will reach EOL on 28 April. The other buntus 12.04 reached EOL back in 2015. EOL for 14.04 for the other buntus will also occur next month so if you haven’t upgraded your system, get it done soon.
- Skype 5.0 which is finally Linux friendly has been released and is available in deb and rpm packages. There is a step by step “How to install Skype 5.0 for Ubuntu and Linux Mint at www.linuxtechi.com/install-skype-5-0-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint/
- There was some discussion about the desktop environments and the need to have at least a picture of each to show customers while they are deciding which buntu or Linux Mint version that they would like to install.
*Installing a virtual machine on your Linux box by Greg Christ
Ubuntu/Linux Mint Tip of the Month:
- “How to make Windows the default boot option on a dual or multi-boot computer.” by Rex Bouwense
Problems with your system and/or applications or just questions/discussion:
- Rex Bouwense gave those present a tour of the CLUG web site and the CLUG GitHub page and how to navigate around.
- We adjourned to Vinny’s Pizza to enjoy some pizza and other Italian delicacies, participate in some additional Linux/FOSS light conversation, and to witness a demonstration in the parking lot of Roland Bockhorst’s drone which took off, flew, hovered, and landed quite successfully in probably a 20 mph wind.